International House of Rhode Island promotes friendship, connection, learning, and global understanding by bringing people together from around the world for cross-cultural exchange.
- Bring together people of different nationalities to get to know each other
- Provide a sense of belonging for international students and visitors
- Facilitate cultural expression and exchange
- Provide opportunities for cross-cultural learning
- Support partners/children of visitors from other nations
- Aid language development through teaching and tutoring
- Work towards creating a community of global citizens
- International students and visitors seeking a comfortable place for cultural exchange and friendship.
- International students and visitors who would like to: a. Learn and improve English skills b. Increase their social integration and reduce isolation
- U.S. residents of all ages interested in learning about other cultures and meeting people from other countries.
- International children and parents who need a place of community and support (including partners and/or spouses)
International House of Rhode Island is an independent nonprofit multi-cultural organization that provides a “home away from home” for international students, scholars, professors, researchers, and their families. It enhances the local community by building cultural awareness and knowledge of the world through IHRI programs created with the distinct purpose of increasing connection, celebrating similarities and differences and envisioning a world in which friendship and understanding overwhelm anonymity, isolation, and ignorance.
International House of Rhode Island programming ranges from helping to support individuals’ needs while in Rhode Island to presenting multi-cultural events and programs. Offerings include conversational English language classes and tutoring at all levels, foreign language classes, orientation to local activities, French Club, nationality dinners, and concerts.
International House of Rhode Island is a member-supported organization, and additional funding sources include foundations, grants, and donations. Membership is open to the public and benefits include access to all programming as well as discounts for dinners, language classes, trips, and many other events.